The following checklist will ensure no detail is forgotten for your destination wedding in Ocean City. With the timelines provided below, you’ll have ample opportunity to create the wedding of your dreams.
Twelve+ Months Prior
- Send out engagement announcements. Get engagement photographs, if desired.
- Envision your wedding (formal hotel or informal beach gathering). Pick preferences for the wedding date and time.
- Determine budget and division of expenses.
- Determine guest list size.
- Book a reception site as soon as you find one you love. Don't assume a location will remain available in 2 or 3 months. If you choose an outdoor site, look into tent and lighting rentals.
- Visit the clergy and review synagogue or church requirements.
- Finalize the wedding date and time after checking with important guests, your preferred location, and officiate.
- Book the caterer.
- Reserve tables, chairs, china, and any other necessary rental equipment (unless the caterer is handling it for you).
- Book a photographer.
- Book a videographer.
- Plan ceremony and reception music and begin looking into bands and DJ's.
- Determine accommodations and reserve your rooms.
- Check into accommodations for your guests. Book blocks of rooms for your guests at a variety of locations.
- Start looking for a baker to make the wedding cake. You may want to ask your caterer for recommendations.
Twelve to Six Months Prior
- Choose attendants.
- Choose the color theme.
- Compile names and addresses for guest list.
- Select a florist.
- Book a DJ or band.
- Make transportation arrangements for you and your family.
- Finalize arrangements for the church and ceremony.
Six to Four Months Prior
- Send out save-the date cards. Include information about the Island, accommodations, and ferry schedules. Be sure to advise guests that rooms book quickly in the summer months.
- Make plans and reservations for the wedding rehearsal and dinner.
- Order invitations and party favors.
- Decide on the groomsmen's/bridegroom's attire.
- Plan the honeymoon. If you plan to spend your honeymoon in Ocean City, look into any special activities that may require advance booking.
- Make deposits and sign contracts.
- Put together ideas for your bridal registry.
Three Months Prior
- Choose gifts for attendants, parents, and helpers.
- Buy wedding rings.
- Order the wedding cake.
- Buy cake knife, toasting glasses, and guest book.
- Begin to shop for your trousseau.
- Complete your bridal registry.
Two Months Before Wedding
- Mail invitations.
- Order liquor, wine, and/or champagne, if not included in catering contract.
- Apply for your New Jersey marriage license, which is required for marriages in Ocean City (out-of-state licenses are not valid). If getting married on the beach, download and submit the Beach Wedding Permit Application (required for beach weddings).
One Month Prior
- Confirm honeymoon reservations.
- Have final fittings for you and your attendant's dresses.
- Ask a friend or relative to take charge of guest book at the reception.
- Pick up wedding rings.
- Contact guests who have not responded.
- Purchase gift for fiancé (not mandatory).
Two Weeks Prior
- Complete your trousseau.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
- Pick up your marriage license.
- Prepare wedding announcement to send to newspaper.
One Week Before Wedding
- Pick up gown, attendant's dresses and accessories.
- Confirm details with all participants and inform them of any changes.
- Make sure you have all wedding attire, rings and the NJ marriage license.
- Give final guest count to reception facility or caterer.
- Get a massage.
Two or Three Days Before Wedding
- Have rehearsal and dinner unless it will be on the island.
- Get manicure and pedicure and confirm wedding day appointments.
Day Before Wedding
- Pull together: wedding gown, veil, shoes, last minute emergency kit (aspirin, make-up, safety-pins, etc).
- Drop off favors, guest book and pen at the reception site.
- Have rehearsal and dinner if it is on the Island.
- Relax and get a good night's sleep.
- Have hair and make-up done.
- Confirm with people you expect to give toasts at the reception.
- Begin dressing two hours before ceremony is to begin.
Have a wonderful Ocean City wedding!